Well, the project is done and I think it turned out pretty well. I wasn’t able to take any “in process” photos but I did take a series of pictures after completion and I’ve posted them on Picasa at the link below.
I was able to complete the install without doing any “permanent” changes to the vehicle aside from the hole drilled in the roof for the NMO mount. The cup holder insert and the storage compartment in the back are both replaceable if ever needed.
Toyota makes some nice little plastic retainers for cable routing that are installed under the kickplates. Using a flat blade screwdriver I was able to pop them open and route my cables through with no problem.
The GPS antenna receives a good signal on the back window and is mounted with the same Radio Shack SuperLock I used for the radio body. I also mounted the 12VDC accessory outlet temporarily with SuperLock until I come up with a solution I like better.
All in all the installation went very well. Some may feel that the control head is mounted too low to be very useful but I’m happy with it. I wired the audio directly into the sound system, mainly because it was there, but it has actually worked out very well for me.
Hopefully there is another Ham out there that will find this useful. If you have any questions I didn’t cover, please ask!
Leave a Reply